FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING
{"id":5592448762006,"title":"Antique Indian Colonial Silver Cup And Cover, Greyhound, Rococo Revival, Lattey Brothers, Calcutta (kolkata), India – 1842\/55","handle":"antique-indian-colonial-silver-cup-and-cover-greyhound-rococo-revival-lattey-brothers-calcutta-kolkata-india-1842-55","description":"\u003cp\u003eThis antique Indian silver cup is of great quality and would have been made for European ex-patriots living in India in the middle of the nineteenth century. Around 170 years old, its design follows the prevailing European taste of the period in which it was created, a style known as rococo revival.  This style spread from France to England and paid homage to the\u003cspan\u003e \u003c\/span\u003e\u003cem\u003eancien regime\u003c\/em\u003e\u003cspan\u003e \u003c\/span\u003eof King Louis XV. In England, the Prince Regent, later King George IV, helped to fuel interest in Rococo Revival by patronising silversmiths such as Paul Storr, who created silverwares of superb quality in this style, typified by naturalistic forms, opulence and whimsical fantasy.  Flowers and shells were frequently depicted.\u003c\/p\u003e\n\u003cp\u003eThe cup is of thistle shape and supported by a shell form pedestal foot. The undulating rim of the cup accepts the hinged cover with its corresponding undulating rim and has been fashioned to resemble a clamshell.  An elegant and naturalistic figure greyhound figure surmounts the cover, forming the finial. The dog is lying down but still alert with his ears pricked and his front legs crossed nonchalantly in front of him.\u003c\/p\u003e\n\u003cp\u003eThe quality of the chasing is exceptionally good throughout and shows great skill.  The wall of the cup is solid and thick with the exterior ornamented using repousse and chased techniques. The lower portion of the cup is swathed in well modelled and extremely finely detailed and high relief oak leaves and acorns, set against a finely punched ground. The squat stem is encircled with a wreath of three-dimensional campanula or bell flowers and foliage.\u003c\/p\u003e\n\u003cp\u003eTo the side of the foot is the silver mark ‘L B \u0026amp; Co’, for Lattey Brothers and Company and, as was typical for them, this mark is accompanied by pseudo-English style hallmarks of a lion passant with the capital letter ‘B’.\u003c\/p\u003e\n\u003cp\u003eLattey Brother was well known for producing fine quality silverware in the prevailing ornate European style of the mid-nineteenth century.  Arthur Pittar and Robert John Lattey formed Arthur Pittar, Lattey \u0026amp; Co in 1835, first at 15 Tank Square, and then from 1836 to 1842 at 10 Government Place (East Side), Calcutta. Their partnership was dissolved in 1842 and was succeeded by Lattey Brothers \u0026amp; Co at 10 Government Place. The new partners were Robert John and Arthur Pittar Lattey, and Joseph Hayes.  Dugald Campbell Lattey became a partner in 1850 when Joseph Hayes left the company. Lattey Brothers and Company ceased trading in 1855. Both the Lattey and Pittar families had been trading in Calcutta since the 1820s.  The Lattey family worked as jewellers, silversmiths, watchmakers and diamond merchants whilst the Pittars were diamond and jewel merchants from 1825, later moving into the associated areas of gilding and electroplating.\u003c\/p\u003e\n\u003cp\u003e\u003cbr\u003e\u003c\/p\u003e\n\u003cp\u003e\u003cem\u003eDimensions\u003c\/em\u003e:-  Height 33 cms; Width 17 cms\u003c\/p\u003e\n\u003cp\u003e\u003cem\u003eWeight\u003c\/em\u003e:- 440 grammes\u003c\/p\u003e\n\u003cp\u003e\u003cem\u003eProvenance\u003c\/em\u003e:-  UK art market\u003c\/p\u003e\n\u003cp\u003e\u003cem\u003eReferences\u003c\/em\u003e:-\u003c\/p\u003e\n\u003cp\u003elattey.com\/india\u003c\/p\u003e\n\u003cp\u003eWynyard R T Wilkinson,  Indian Colonial Silver, European Silversmiths in India (1790-1860) and Their Marks, Argent Press, London 1973\u003c\/p\u003e\n\u003cp\u003eWynyard R T Wilkinson,  The Makers of Indian Colonial Silver, A register of European Goldsmiths, Silversmiths, Jewellers, Watchmakers and Clockmakers working in India  1760-1860, London 1987\u003c\/p\u003e","published_at":"2020-08-09T23:59:42+01:00","created_at":"2020-08-09T23:59:41+01:00","vendor":"Joseph Cohen Antiques","type":"Cup And Cover","tags":["Sold Archive"],"price":0,"price_min":0,"price_max":0,"available":false,"price_varies":false,"compare_at_price":null,"compare_at_price_min":0,"compare_at_price_max":0,"compare_at_price_varies":false,"variants":[{"id":35689603891350,"title":"Default Title","option1":"Default Title","option2":null,"option3":null,"sku":"","requires_shipping":true,"taxable":true,"featured_image":null,"available":false,"name":"Antique Indian Colonial Silver Cup And Cover, Greyhound, Rococo Revival, Lattey Brothers, Calcutta (kolkata), India – 1842\/55","public_title":null,"options":["Default Title"],"price":0,"weight":0,"compare_at_price":null,"inventory_management":"shopify","barcode":""}],"images":["\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0124\/1507\/4394\/products\/1_H9A.jpg?v=1597013983","\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0124\/1507\/4394\/products\/2_6O.jpg?v=1597013984","\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0124\/1507\/4394\/products\/3.jpg?v=1597013984","\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0124\/1507\/4394\/products\/4_YOKXY_6.jpg?v=1597013984","\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0124\/1507\/4394\/products\/5_YA_6A.jpg?v=1597013984","\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0124\/1507\/4394\/products\/6_CXO_7.jpg?v=1597013984","\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0124\/1507\/4394\/products\/7_MG7HY.jpg?v=1597013984","\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0124\/1507\/4394\/products\/8_MZBX.jpg?v=1597013984","\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0124\/1507\/4394\/products\/9_IEK0I.jpg?v=1597013984","\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0124\/1507\/4394\/products\/10_OQYR.jpg?v=1597013984"],"featured_image":"\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0124\/1507\/4394\/products\/1_H9A.jpg?v=1597013983","options":["Title"],"media":[{"alt":null,"id":10620989866134,"position":1,"preview_image":{"aspect_ratio":1.0,"height":768,"width":768,"src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0124\/1507\/4394\/products\/1_H9A.jpg?v=1597013983"},"aspect_ratio":1.0,"height":768,"media_type":"image","src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0124\/1507\/4394\/products\/1_H9A.jpg?v=1597013983","width":768},{"alt":null,"id":10620989898902,"position":2,"preview_image":{"aspect_ratio":1.0,"height":768,"width":768,"src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0124\/1507\/4394\/products\/2_6O.jpg?v=1597013983"},"aspect_ratio":1.0,"height":768,"media_type":"image","src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0124\/1507\/4394\/products\/2_6O.jpg?v=1597013983","width":768},{"alt":null,"id":10620989931670,"position":3,"preview_image":{"aspect_ratio":1.0,"height":768,"width":768,"src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0124\/1507\/4394\/products\/3.jpg?v=1597013983"},"aspect_ratio":1.0,"height":768,"media_type":"image","src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0124\/1507\/4394\/products\/3.jpg?v=1597013983","width":768},{"alt":null,"id":10620989964438,"position":4,"preview_image":{"aspect_ratio":1.0,"height":768,"width":768,"src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0124\/1507\/4394\/products\/4_YOKXY_6.jpg?v=1597013984"},"aspect_ratio":1.0,"height":768,"media_type":"image","src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0124\/1507\/4394\/products\/4_YOKXY_6.jpg?v=1597013984","width":768},{"alt":null,"id":10620989997206,"position":5,"preview_image":{"aspect_ratio":1.0,"height":768,"width":768,"src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0124\/1507\/4394\/products\/5_YA_6A.jpg?v=1597013983"},"aspect_ratio":1.0,"height":768,"media_type":"image","src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0124\/1507\/4394\/products\/5_YA_6A.jpg?v=1597013983","width":768},{"alt":null,"id":10620990029974,"position":6,"preview_image":{"aspect_ratio":1.0,"height":768,"width":768,"src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0124\/1507\/4394\/products\/6_CXO_7.jpg?v=1597013984"},"aspect_ratio":1.0,"height":768,"media_type":"image","src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0124\/1507\/4394\/products\/6_CXO_7.jpg?v=1597013984","width":768},{"alt":null,"id":10620990062742,"position":7,"preview_image":{"aspect_ratio":1.0,"height":768,"width":768,"src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0124\/1507\/4394\/products\/7_MG7HY.jpg?v=1597013983"},"aspect_ratio":1.0,"height":768,"media_type":"image","src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0124\/1507\/4394\/products\/7_MG7HY.jpg?v=1597013983","width":768},{"alt":null,"id":10620990095510,"position":8,"preview_image":{"aspect_ratio":1.0,"height":768,"width":768,"src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0124\/1507\/4394\/products\/8_MZBX.jpg?v=1597013982"},"aspect_ratio":1.0,"height":768,"media_type":"image","src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0124\/1507\/4394\/products\/8_MZBX.jpg?v=1597013982","width":768},{"alt":null,"id":10620990128278,"position":9,"preview_image":{"aspect_ratio":1.0,"height":768,"width":768,"src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0124\/1507\/4394\/products\/9_IEK0I.jpg?v=1597013983"},"aspect_ratio":1.0,"height":768,"media_type":"image","src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0124\/1507\/4394\/products\/9_IEK0I.jpg?v=1597013983","width":768},{"alt":null,"id":10620990161046,"position":10,"preview_image":{"aspect_ratio":1.0,"height":768,"width":768,"src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0124\/1507\/4394\/products\/10_OQYR.jpg?v=1597013983"},"aspect_ratio":1.0,"height":768,"media_type":"image","src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0124\/1507\/4394\/products\/10_OQYR.jpg?v=1597013983","width":768}],"content":"\u003cp\u003eThis antique Indian silver cup is of great quality and would have been made for European ex-patriots living in India in the middle of the nineteenth century. Around 170 years old, its design follows the prevailing European taste of the period in which it was created, a style known as rococo revival.  This style spread from France to England and paid homage to the\u003cspan\u003e \u003c\/span\u003e\u003cem\u003eancien regime\u003c\/em\u003e\u003cspan\u003e \u003c\/span\u003eof King Louis XV. In England, the Prince Regent, later King George IV, helped to fuel interest in Rococo Revival by patronising silversmiths such as Paul Storr, who created silverwares of superb quality in this style, typified by naturalistic forms, opulence and whimsical fantasy.  Flowers and shells were frequently depicted.\u003c\/p\u003e\n\u003cp\u003eThe cup is of thistle shape and supported by a shell form pedestal foot. The undulating rim of the cup accepts the hinged cover with its corresponding undulating rim and has been fashioned to resemble a clamshell.  An elegant and naturalistic figure greyhound figure surmounts the cover, forming the finial. The dog is lying down but still alert with his ears pricked and his front legs crossed nonchalantly in front of him.\u003c\/p\u003e\n\u003cp\u003eThe quality of the chasing is exceptionally good throughout and shows great skill.  The wall of the cup is solid and thick with the exterior ornamented using repousse and chased techniques. The lower portion of the cup is swathed in well modelled and extremely finely detailed and high relief oak leaves and acorns, set against a finely punched ground. The squat stem is encircled with a wreath of three-dimensional campanula or bell flowers and foliage.\u003c\/p\u003e\n\u003cp\u003eTo the side of the foot is the silver mark ‘L B \u0026amp; Co’, for Lattey Brothers and Company and, as was typical for them, this mark is accompanied by pseudo-English style hallmarks of a lion passant with the capital letter ‘B’.\u003c\/p\u003e\n\u003cp\u003eLattey Brother was well known for producing fine quality silverware in the prevailing ornate European style of the mid-nineteenth century.  Arthur Pittar and Robert John Lattey formed Arthur Pittar, Lattey \u0026amp; Co in 1835, first at 15 Tank Square, and then from 1836 to 1842 at 10 Government Place (East Side), Calcutta. Their partnership was dissolved in 1842 and was succeeded by Lattey Brothers \u0026amp; Co at 10 Government Place. The new partners were Robert John and Arthur Pittar Lattey, and Joseph Hayes.  Dugald Campbell Lattey became a partner in 1850 when Joseph Hayes left the company. Lattey Brothers and Company ceased trading in 1855. Both the Lattey and Pittar families had been trading in Calcutta since the 1820s.  The Lattey family worked as jewellers, silversmiths, watchmakers and diamond merchants whilst the Pittars were diamond and jewel merchants from 1825, later moving into the associated areas of gilding and electroplating.\u003c\/p\u003e\n\u003cp\u003e\u003cbr\u003e\u003c\/p\u003e\n\u003cp\u003e\u003cem\u003eDimensions\u003c\/em\u003e:-  Height 33 cms; Width 17 cms\u003c\/p\u003e\n\u003cp\u003e\u003cem\u003eWeight\u003c\/em\u003e:- 440 grammes\u003c\/p\u003e\n\u003cp\u003e\u003cem\u003eProvenance\u003c\/em\u003e:-  UK art market\u003c\/p\u003e\n\u003cp\u003e\u003cem\u003eReferences\u003c\/em\u003e:-\u003c\/p\u003e\n\u003cp\u003elattey.com\/india\u003c\/p\u003e\n\u003cp\u003eWynyard R T Wilkinson,  Indian Colonial Silver, European Silversmiths in India (1790-1860) and Their Marks, Argent Press, London 1973\u003c\/p\u003e\n\u003cp\u003eWynyard R T Wilkinson,  The Makers of Indian Colonial Silver, A register of European Goldsmiths, Silversmiths, Jewellers, Watchmakers and Clockmakers working in India  1760-1860, London 1987\u003c\/p\u003e"}

Antique Indian Colonial Silver Cup And Cover, Greyhound, Rococo Revival, Lattey Brothers, Calcutta (kolkata), India – 1842/55

Product Description

This antique Indian silver cup is of great quality and would have been made for European ex-patriots living in India in the middle of the nineteenth century. Around 170 years old, its design follows the prevailing European taste of the period in which it was created, a style known as rococo revival.  This style spread from France to England and paid homage to the ancien regime of King Louis XV. In England, the Prince Regent, later King George IV, helped to fuel interest in Rococo Revival by patronising silversmiths such as Paul Storr, who created silverwares of superb quality in this style, typified by naturalistic forms, opulence and whimsical fantasy.  Flowers and shells were frequently depicted.

The cup is of thistle shape and supported by a shell form pedestal foot. The undulating rim of the cup accepts the hinged cover with its corresponding undulating rim and has been fashioned to resemble a clamshell.  An elegant and naturalistic figure greyhound figure surmounts the cover, forming the finial. The dog is lying down but still alert with his ears pricked and his front legs crossed nonchalantly in front of him.

The quality of the chasing is exceptionally good throughout and shows great skill.  The wall of the cup is solid and thick with the exterior ornamented using repousse and chased techniques. The lower portion of the cup is swathed in well modelled and extremely finely detailed and high relief oak leaves and acorns, set against a finely punched ground. The squat stem is encircled with a wreath of three-dimensional campanula or bell flowers and foliage.

To the side of the foot is the silver mark ‘L B & Co’, for Lattey Brothers and Company and, as was typical for them, this mark is accompanied by pseudo-English style hallmarks of a lion passant with the capital letter ‘B’.

Lattey Brother was well known for producing fine quality silverware in the prevailing ornate European style of the mid-nineteenth century.  Arthur Pittar and Robert John Lattey formed Arthur Pittar, Lattey & Co in 1835, first at 15 Tank Square, and then from 1836 to 1842 at 10 Government Place (East Side), Calcutta. Their partnership was dissolved in 1842 and was succeeded by Lattey Brothers & Co at 10 Government Place. The new partners were Robert John and Arthur Pittar Lattey, and Joseph Hayes.  Dugald Campbell Lattey became a partner in 1850 when Joseph Hayes left the company. Lattey Brothers and Company ceased trading in 1855. Both the Lattey and Pittar families had been trading in Calcutta since the 1820s.  The Lattey family worked as jewellers, silversmiths, watchmakers and diamond merchants whilst the Pittars were diamond and jewel merchants from 1825, later moving into the associated areas of gilding and electroplating.


Dimensions:-  Height 33 cms; Width 17 cms

Weight:- 440 grammes

Provenance:-  UK art market

References:-

lattey.com/india

Wynyard R T Wilkinson,  Indian Colonial Silver, European Silversmiths in India (1790-1860) and Their Marks, Argent Press, London 1973

Wynyard R T Wilkinson,  The Makers of Indian Colonial Silver, A register of European Goldsmiths, Silversmiths, Jewellers, Watchmakers and Clockmakers working in India  1760-1860, London 1987

SOLD
Maximum quantity available reached.

Related products